Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Going lean

I've been doing a lot of reading about Lean Manufacturing and Lean Processes in general. As I was digesting some of the information it occurred to me that I've already been practicing a Lean approach to managing my small flock. I have a day job (yeah, I know you thought I was independently wealthy and this is my form of "slumming" but you're wrong!) and in the morning I need to save time as much as possible.

If it's been freezing or below the previous night, the waterer is already by the door, ready to go. Otherwise I leave it hanging in the run and just fill up a gallon jug of water instead. I head over to the coop and hang up the waterer.

While I'm still bent over, I reach under the roof of the small lean-to -- it's only about 3ft. tall -- where I keep feed and scoop out a big cup of scratch grain and throw it into the nearest sunny area, or in front of the coop if there isn't one. Doing this all but guarantees the next few steps aren't interrupted by "someone" coming over to see what I'm doing.

Next step is to walk to the coop, unlatch and open the door and grab the feeder and place it on top of the lean-to to keep it out of the way of the curious birds. Now I can lean over, get a big scoop of feed (enough to fill the feeder) and dump it in.

Close up the feed bin, put the feeder in the coop and I'm done. Cycle time under two minutes!

Then I waste the next ten minutes watching the antics of my birds. Sigh!

No comments: